Craig and Macauley provides consulting and planning services concerning federal and state income taxation to enable our clients to structure business transactions and personal and family finances in a manner that minimizes taxes. Specific areas where we provide guidance include:
- Organization, reorganization, acquisition, sale and liquidation of businesses.
- Tax planning for business start-ups.
- Acquisition and disposition of real estate, including real estate used in a trade or business, rental real estate held for investment and personal use real estate.
o Tax consequences of divorce and planning for an equitable division of the tax impact of divorce.
- Compensating executives, including maximizing after tax compensation through the use of stock options and deferred compensation and planning to minimize the tax impact of "Golden Parachute" provisions.
- Tax strategies for retirement, both before and after retirement; maximizing current deductions for retirement plan contributions; minimizing tax on post-retirement distributions from retirement plans, including distributions made to plan beneficiaries after the primary plan participant's death; and minimizing the estate tax burden on retirement plan benefits.
- Tax planning for closely held businesses and their shareholders, including structuring family ownership of businesses to minimize income and estate taxation.
Over the years, federal tax laws have undergone significant changes that have profoundly altered the tax consequences of certain transactions and investments. We review the impact of recent tax law changes on existing situations and recommend strategies to minimize the adverse tax consequences of these changes and to take maximum advantage of new opportunities. We also assist in the development of strategies to deal with the impact of anticipated changes in federal and state tax law.
In addition, we prepare federal and state income tax returns for our clients.
"We recommend strategies to minimize adverse tax consequences and to take maximum advantage of new opportunities."